||Sustainable Rice Production Project (The Gambia)
||This Sustainable Rice Production Project was established in 2011 following the recommendation of a Taiwanese delegation from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the TaiwanICDF dispatched to review the Doubling Rice Yield Within Five Years Project. The purpose of this project is to supply high quality, locally cultivated varieties of rice and increase production and yields by organizing production teams and providing training courses.
Overall, this project will:
- Establish Rice Production Teams to supply rice seed required as part of the Upland Rice Expansion Project; establish Rice Production Revolving Funds using income generated from the sale of such seed.
- Establish a database of technical information and transfer the principle technologies required to propagate foundation seed to project stakeholders; establish a three-grade seed inspection system.
- Cooperate with the Department of Agriculture to operate Rice Production Revolving Funds in order to develop tidal irrigation areas.
- Hold training courses to improve project stakeholders’ skills in the maintenance and operation of machinery.
|Implementation Start Date:
|Implementation End Date:
|Source of Funding:
||Ministry of Foreign Affairs
||The objectives of this project are:
- Establish Rice Production Teams in the tidal irrigation area in Central River Region; produce 1,000 tons of rice seed over 275 hectares for use as part of the Upland Rice Expansion Project.
- Establish a three-grade seed inspection system to improve the quality and purity of rice seed; conduct regional trials to select varieties of rice suitable for cultivation in The Gambia.
- Establish a 200 m2 grain storage warehouse at a suitable location; establish a 3,750 m2 drying area within the tidal irrigation area on the southern riverbank.
- Cooperate with the Department of Agriculture to establish a double-cropping system over 2,400 hectares.
- Improve production management and increase the utilization of machinery by providing training on rice cultivation and the maintenance of associated machinery.
- Transfer the technologies associated with each component of the project.
- Taiwan Technical Mission in the Republic of The Gambia
- Ministry of Agriculture (Republic of The Gambia)
- National Agricultural Research Institute (NARI) (Republic of The Gambia)
- Department of Agriculture, Ministry of Agriculture (Republic of The Gambia)
- Bureau of Agriculture, Central River Region (Republic of The Gambia)
||Members of the Taiwan Technical Mission will provide technical assistance and assistance for capacity building.
||To the end of December 2012, the following activities have been completed:
- Identified a 1.07-hectare area on which to propagate the first crop of rice seed; prepared the cultivation schedule for the first crop and completed a handbook on roguing ATM-S-3 and WAB-1055 seed; completed a handbook on varieties of rice seed for NARI in The Gambia. Completed the cultivation schedule for the second crop and a handbook on Characteristics of upland rice promoted in The Gambia.
- Transplanted rice seedlings to commence production of seed on 13.57 hectares. A total of yield in this area is 33.2 tons for the first crop. Transplanted rice seedlings to commence production of seed on 8.3 hectares. A total of yield in this area is 23.5 tons for the second crop.
- Identified a 160-hectare area for work with Rice Production Teams; extended production of seed over 505 hectares(included pumping irrigation area), prepared 624 hectares of land and transplanted rice seedlings over 624 hectares. A total of yield in this area is 1,639.3 tons.
- Provided consultations on the first crop within the tidal irrigation area over 1,139 hectares and on the second crop within the tidal irrigation area over 1,161 hectares; cleaned the weeds and silt within the tidal irrigation area over 1,000 cubic meters and fix the road in the farm over 600 meters.
- Held technical training courses on cultivation and management for 116 farmers; held workshops on the rice seed production for 758 farmers; held training on other kinds of rice cultivation technology for 254 farmers; held training workshops on the operation and maintenance of agricultural machinery for 92 persons; trained five persons on the repair of machinery.
- Performed maintenance work on 67 tractors, 189 cultivators and 407 other machines; repaired 150 other, smaller items of agricultural machinery.
||Tzou Shuh-kang, Hsu Hsien-cheng, Sung Gung-chau, Tsai Yong-zhong, Sun Chen-hwa, Fan Zhi-tian,
- The project will produce 1,000 tons of rice seed worth US$600,000 (at an estimated US$600/ton).
- Consultation and associated work in the Central River Region (North and South) tidal irrigation area over 2,400 hectares will yield two harvests of rice per year, for a total yield of 7,200 tons worth US$2.02 million.
- Training will be provided to 2,250 persons to improve technologies associated with rice seed cultivation; courses on the maintenance and operation of machinery will be provided to 150 persons; training on the maintenance and repair of smaller items of agricultural machinery will be provided to 30 persons.
||Taiwan Technical Mission in the Republic of The Gambia
||Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing
- Date Updated:2013/5/16