||Vegetable Production Group Guidance Project (The Gambia)
||This Vegetable Production Group Guidance Project was initiated in 2011 on the basis of previous successful experiences. The project will provide consultation on, transfer a model for the sustainable management of, vegetable farms to the Ministry of Agriculture in the Republic of The Gambia. Training courses will be provided to technicians and standard operating procedures for fund management and crop cultivation and management will be established.
Overall, this project will:
- Establish a model for cultivation and management at vegetable farms, including crop rotation systems.
- Hold training courses on crop cultivation, blight management, the maintenance and operation of machinery, and the installation and repair of irrigation systems.
- Establish and provide consultancy services and funding to vegetable production groups in Banjulinding, Sukuta, Lamin and Brufut; establish standard rules for funding operations and provide guidance to cadres.
- Expand the coverage of groups and train Ministry of Agriculture personnel on farm management systems and operations.
|Implementation Start Date:
|Implementation End Date:
|Source of Funding:
||Ministry of Foreign Affairs
||The objectives of this project are:
- Provide consultancy services to vegetable production groups in Banjulinding, Sukuta, Lamin,and Brufut.; establish a crop rotation system for tomato, cabbage, okra, cucumber and pepper, expanding the cultivation area from 4 hectares to 10 hectares.
- Establish and provide consultancy services to vegetable production groups of the management and operation of farms, as well as associated funds.
- Hold training courses on project operations for four local personnel from four production groups from the Ministry of Agriculture.
- Transfer technologies relevant to the operation of vegetable farms to the Ministry of Agriculture in the Republic of The Gambia.
- Taiwan Technical Mission in the Republic of The Gambia
- Ministry of Agriculture (Republic of The Gambia)
- National Agricultural Research Institute (NARI) (Republic of The Gambia)
- Gardening Division, Department of Agriculture, Ministry of Agriculture (Republic of The Gambia)
||Members of the Taiwan Technical Mission will provide technical assistance and assistance for capacity building.
||To the end of September 2013, the following activities have been completed:
- Planted groundnut, cabbage, tomato, cucumber and okra in turns and extended the area cultivated by vegetable groups to 9.3 hectares.
- Complete Project Transferring Plan and Handbook of Standard Operating Procedures in Chinese and English.
- Held Tomato crop cultivation and pest management workshop for 282 persons for 3 times; held training course on cultivator operate workshop for 10 persons for 2 times; met with farm staff from vegetable production groups for 10 times.
- Provided consultations on vegetable cultivation over 17.1hectares; the total yield of vegetables was 159,413.5 kg.
- Newly established Lamin 2 vegetable production group for 1 group.
- Test planted 3,000 Tainung No.3 pineapples in NARI experimental field and 3,000 Tainung No.3 pineapples at President Farm in Kanilai.
||Tzou Shuh-kang, Lu Yu-ming and Shiau Shi-chian
||Technical Assistance and Capacity Building
- The project will produce vegetables worth US$371,250 for each group.
- Consultancy services will be provided to 650 persons in nine vegetable groups in the greater Banjul area over a production area of 15 hectares.
- Vegetable production groups will build the capacity to manage and operate farms, as well as build capacity to organize and monitor operations.
||Taiwan Technical Mission in the Republic of The Gambia
||Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing
||Projects under implementation